Sunday, December 27, 2009

Refletion: Learning Theories and Instruction

The readings and the discussion boards have enriched my understanding about the learning process for adults. I found the exchange of ideas refreshing and stimulating. I wonder how vibrant it would have been on a face-to-face discussion.

As the course progressed, it gradually re-confirmed that no matter what educational and cultural background we come from, we are well capable of learning and utilising different learning styles. No one learn using one learning theory. Each one of us passes through different stages of learning: from concrete to abstract concepts. What makes a huge difference is how a concept is introduced such as building it from a concrete phase and gradually taking it into an abstract level. As a child, I surely used a lot of repetition in learning my multiplication table and rote memory learning nursery rhymes. I knew from an early stage that I would not be successful in learning through this style alone. So as I acquired more skills and knowledge, I sought out opportunities that provided transfer of knowledge and skills. Though it might be demanding to move out of my comfort zone, I realised it was more productive and stimulating. It leads me to seek possibilities beyond what I can imagine and as a consequence be enhanced by different perspectives. I am aware that learning is a lifelong process and it encompasses all aspects of our lives including relating to others especially with those who are dear to us.

I found working on the learning matrix rather informative and it made me reflect on my learning style which is a concoction of various learning theories. As a consequence, I was constantly checking on my teaching style and the strategies that reinforced my preference of teaching. This course gave me a venue to hear what works for others and how a strategy can be used to avoid making the same mistakes.

As an educator, I think that it was easier for me to understand the underlying aspects of learning theories and their styles. Nonetheless, theories are useful if they can be applied well in a classroom setting. In the past while I was in college and even while I was studying in Italy, I found learning theories a futile exercise where instructors and students discussed scenarios endlessly without making a difference in my learning. Perhaps due to the stimulating readings along with vibrant discussions, I found the combination truly captivating. As our discussions moved on to technology and its role, I appreciated its use to enhance teaching and learning. However, it is very challenging to implement technology in a school such as mine where provisions for proper hardware maintenance, software updates and IT support are scarce.

I think we should have stayed longer in discussing motivation in online learning. The readings appealed to my quest to further comprehend online learning. I thought that this topic alone could hold a whole course. It would be curious to see different strategies people use to cope with online studying and how as IDs we can help solve these issues especially in motivating distant learners. I thought the Keller’s ARCS was a good point in our discussion. It helped me focus my attention to what is essential in making my teaching accessible to my learners and draw out the best in them.

I think that it is important as a future ID to be a keen observer on how students learn and how a concept is acquired through the process of encoding, storing and retrieving by applying it in real life situations. The various readings on educational technology enhanced my previous knowledge of integrating technology in teaching and learning. This course made me aware of the pros and cons of online programmes though I might not have any opportunity to hold online classes at the moment. Based on the readings and discussions, I know that I will still prefer a face-to-face interaction such as workshops or training rather than an online programme. I very much prefer to see the expression and the immediate reaction of people I work with. I find that online responses can be misunderstood and clarification can take time to happen. I would prefer to offer workshop trainees a combination of online and face-to-face interaction for a more balanced programme.
Thank you for taking time to reply to my discussions and for giving me constructive feedbacks for my blogs. I thought uploading blogs were great and an excellent way to use technology in sharing your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment