Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fitting the Pieces Together

As I read through my discussion notes of the 1st week, I realise that I have remained anchored to constructivism. It was fascinating to read and to be enriched by the various exchanges on the discussion board. I believe that behaviourism is present in the early stages of our learning when skills need to be developed and strengthened such as reading, writing or learning the basic mathematical operations. The use of rote memory is part of it, too. However, I firmly believe that to take repetition and rote memory a step further, we must allow students to apply it in their daily lives giving them opportunities. This last step provides for a venue for abstract and concrete concepts to make connection in their minds.

I think that connectivism is an offshoot of social learning theory wherein the learner can make associations from various sources of information: incorporating technology, face-to-face interaction and print information such as books, magazines, etc.

As an educator, I can see that I have an array of learning styles to use. In developing skills, I have behaviourism where repetition is used to reinforce a skill. I have become more aware of how the mind works, and its potential. Constructivism as well as Social Constructivism play an important role in my learning process and therefore is translated into my teaching. As an Instructional Designer, it will surely shape how I design programmes. I have no doubt that each one of us creates our own concept of the world based on our experiences with people and the world around us. No matter how I present a topic, learner interpretations will inevitably vary. I suppose we learn and utilise various learning styles depending on what we want to learn: a skill or knowledge and understanding. The secret is to know which ones maximise learning.

Technology plays a vital role in my learning. I don’t think I will be able to work without it anymore. Digital cameras allow me to capture images that enhance understanding in a multi-lingual classroom. I use applications or software to make movies. Technology enables me to store files and other documents for personal, professional use. I listen to audio books whenever I cannot read. Ebooks lighten the luggage whereas real books are bulky. I download applications that help me work faster and more efficiently. Blogs provide intellectual stimulus and give me a global perspective on how people think and feel about certain topics. Learning to me has become fun with technology, especially when I can access sites that provide professional development; Teachervision.com, edutopia.com, teacherstv.com and other sites that are refreshing and stimulating. Lastly, technology allows me to search on anything under the sun and explore any topic to understand better how things work with click of a finger.

I strongly believe that by integrating technology I can reach all learners, and provide engaging activities that enrich their experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment